Friday 24 June 2016

My Birthday Adventure



I love the gym, but I equally love being outside exploring so on Wednesday, I spent my 23rd Birthday with my best buddy/boyfriend on an adventure to the North Pennines to visit High Force waterfall. Last summer we visited the waterfall in Jesmond Dene for a picnic. This year we thought we would go bigger!  

The weather was absolutely glorious as we drove across the North Pennines, dodging the wandering sheep and trying to stay on the road, while I tried to sneak a peek out the window in order to see the magnificent views. After an hour and a half drive from east Newcastle, we made it to High Force where we paid a small fare of £2 to park and £1.50 each to view the waterfall.





With our picnic we wandered down to the 70 foot waterfall where we joined several photographers and school children in viewing the spectacular sight. For half an hour or so we climbed over the rocks to sit just downstream of the plunge pool, where we felt the soft mist from the water plummeting down.

Following this we walked further down the River Tees to view several rapids, which I had previously paddled when at University roughly 3 years ago. It brought back great memories to see Salmon Leap rapids, Low Force and a small group of rapids (also my very first natural rapids to paddle). I remember I was so happy to go down without capsizing. As the river was fairly low we were able to scramble across some rocks to take a closer look at the fast flowing water, and I got to point out the route I had previously taken in my boat (whilst probably boring Richard). The walk down, especially in such wonderful sunshine, was beautiful and we met several groups of walkers along the way who were all very friendly. Once we had crossed the rope bridge following low force, we turned around to walk back the way we had come, as I didn’t fancy walking the road route on the way back.




Once back at our starting point, we relaxed with a cool beverage each at the very friendly High Force hotel (a historic coaching inn) and then began our drive back to Newcastle.

Extremely exhausted from the fresh air and heat, we chilled for a wee while before venturing 10 minutes down the road to the beautiful beach, King Edwards Bay, in Tynemouth. Having previously visited a number of times to find the place to be packed, we finally managed to get a seat and order some food at Riley’s Fish Shack. The wait was SO worth it! Sitting on a bar facing the beach with the sun setting, eating lobster and fresh cod can’t really be beaten. The atmosphere down on the beach is relaxed and the smell from the charcoal BBQ/fire which cooks the food, reminds me of good times camping as a child. I would highly recommend Riley’s Fish shack. Not only was the food incredible, but you got so much for your money. I was struggling to finish it – and that comes from a girl with a big appetite.




To finish off a fabulous birthday, we wandered into the rock pools and waves of the sea. I don’t think I could have had a better day! And I haven’t slept so well, or felt so relaxed in a long time!








I don’t know about you, but I feel England is so underrated for its places to visit. Yes, I like to go abroad and see the amazing sites in different countries, but I want to see all that this country has to offer me also! I can’t wait for my next planned adventure with an old flatmate from Uni… now to find the time for it!

For more information about High Force and Riley’s Fish Shack, take a look at these links…


 
-Ellie



SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Performance Sports Therapy. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig