Saturday 27 February 2016

My 5 Top Tips to keeping fit and healthy without all the gadgets


With social media showing you all the latest hot gadgets to use in your daily life and work out, it is easy to forget that you can actually stay healthy and improve performance without these gismos. So, how do we do this? Well I’m going to share my top 5 tips with you.

1. Body weight exercises – plyos, planks and pushups – Build muscle and burn fat through simple body weight exercises which can be performed in your home, local Park or back garden. These efficient exercises are ace because they’re absolutely free and can help to prevent injury, as well as enhancing performance. There are numerous ways to target the body with no equipment such as single leg squats, various plank positions, press ups and single leg balance holds. Plyometric training may also be used to increase power output, a combination of speed and strength which are beneficial within all aspects of training.

2. The essentials – hydration, sleep, chill time and veg – you don’t need these high-tech sleep trackers or fancy water bottles, just get yourself a pint sized glass and a watch. And don’t forget to allow yourself some you time in your busy schedules. I actually spend my chill time in the gym, sleeping or reading a book whilst my boyfriend plays on his Xbox. Yes I don’t have my own chill time quite sorted yet, but I’m working on it! If I’m not doing some kind of work I feel quite guilty. Lastly, don’t forget to eat your veggies! We are all quite aware of boosting our protein and carbohydrate intake for muscle recovery but we tend to forget we should be eating our veggies for essential vitamins. Yes, you can get these through supplement tablets, but why do that when you can get pure goodness from tasty filling veg.

3. Mobility and stretching – why is this important you may ask? Well, by increasing the range of movement at the joints and increasing the extensibility of muscles you reduce the risk of injury when training. This type of training should be built into your weekly training program. I have one session a week which focuses purely on mobility, however throughout the rest of the week I continue to use varied stretching techniques to stay limber. Why not try yours when watching TV in the evening?

4. Yoga and Pilates – Take a look at an online yogi such as Yoga with Adriene who shares her knowledge with you to guide you through different challenges. Or grab a book such as Pilates for Life by Darcy Bussell, which is where I first started my Pilates training.

5. Be experimental – if you have a length of floor in your living room that is sufficient room to carry out your body weight exercises, stretching or mobility session. You might manage to get the rest of your house joining in the fun! Plus, by doing exercises at home, you can easily blast out some good tunes!


HAVE LESS DO MORE

Here I am in my local park working out 



-E
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Performance Sports Therapy. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig