Monday 8 February 2016

Life in Motion






I absolutely love Misty Copeland, I cannot get enough of her! I'm always checking out her latest photoshoots and adventures via Instagram and sending them to Chris RR wishing that I could be so beautiful and strong to photograph. 

Back in summer 2015 I read Mistys book 'Life in Motion'. Her book tells the story of a gifted young African American girl who came from an underprivileged family to make it into the highly regarded American Ballet Theatre. What is remarkable is that she only begun her ballet career at the late age of thirteen. Her story makes you laugh, smile and cry with the ups and downs of her life, such as the pull between ballet and family, the attention of the media at such a young age and her ambition to reach where she is today. The book is a beautiful story of a child and young woman striving for her dream against the odds. 
It didn’t stop at writing this book though! Since the publication of ‘Life in Motion’ Misty is now the first African American Female Principle Dancer within the American Ballet Theatre, as well as ambassador for the sports brand UnderArmour.

As a Sports Therapist and Strength and Conditioning graduate I found reading about Misty’s injuries and rehabilitation process very interesting. Indeed, her dedication to dance from a young age through multiple obstacles, and her determination to get back on the stage post injury is an admirable trait.

The book sent shivers down my spine when I read of her fight against covering her beautiful black skin in makeup in order to become a White Swan. The psychological stresses of such a position in a company are already great, but Misty's will power to push through racial prejudice was, and is incredible.

This was a perfect summer book as it was simple to read, unlike other dancer’s stories I've read. I also believe the book is suitable for the younger fan, which has some great accompanying photographs of Misty through the years. 

I would highly recommend this book for those like Misty fighting for their dream. Or for those, like me who are simply in love with the natural beauty that is Misty Copeland. I do hope one day I get to see her perform in person.



Here are some of my favourite photos of Misty... (all photos from Pinterest)











- E
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Performance Sports Therapy. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig