Tuesday 29 March 2016

Guest interview – Musical Theatre Student Ryan Lay




Tell us about yourself

I am currently in the 2nd year of a 3 years Musical Theatre Diploma course at The Italia Conti Academy of Theatre Arts. We cover all disciplines of dance such as ballet, tap, technical jazz, Matt Mattox style jazz, Pas de Deux, Musical Theatre double work etc. As well as studying acting and singing. 

What type of supplementary training do you do? What benefits have you seen from this training?

Due to our contact hours being around 45 hrs a week, it is very important to keep our bodies in their optimum performance level. Therefore, nutrition is a big part of our training. It’s important to eat the right foods to keep our carbohydrate stores full to prevent injury as if the stores are not full this will limit the duration and intensity of our performance. Our breaks between terms are long which is important for recovery time, but, it is also important to keep our fitness levels high throughout the holidays and due to this I am a member of a gym which I regularly attend to maintain strength and stamina. In term time, I also attend the gym to strengthen the muscles in my upper body to continue to develop myself as a performer. Of an evening I try to roll out my muscles, or stretch if we have had an intense day of dance to stop myself from aching so much the next morning. I have noticed improvements by just doing these two things alone, I am stronger which stops injury and I do not feel as tired or stiff the next day which could hinder my performance. 

At what age or stage in your dance career did you realise supplementary training was necessary?

It was mainly when I went into the 3-year diploma. Before this I attended their Theatre Arts Schools where we studied half a day of vocational subjects and half a day academic studies. When I went into the college department the intensity definitely increased and therefore it was much more important to engage in supplementary training to perform at my optimum performance daily. 

Can you summaries your own personal approach to supplementary training and nutrition?

I think the more supplementary training I can put in the better my performance will be. It will also improve my endurance and stamina, to keep up performance for longer. 

What is the support system like at your school for dancer’s health?

In our first year we have weekly anatomy lesson where we learn how nutrition and hydration has such a big impact on our performance and how important it is to think about this. As well, we have a weekly physio who we can book appointments if we get injured, in this session she will advise us on our best course of action. 

How do you juggle all you do and make time for supplementary training?

It is difficult, but it is about putting it into your daily routine and just finding time to put them in. Nutrition wise, meal prep is important and properly planning what I will eat for the week to ensure I get the correct calorie intake and sufficient amount of protein. 

What are your future plans?

I want to pursue a career in Musical Theatre and my dreams is to perform on the West End.



Find Ryan on social media at:
Twitter - @RyanLay2
Instagram - @RyanLay2





SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Performance Sports Therapy. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig