Tuesday 15 December 2015

Gym Etiquette

A few months ago I joined a new gym just outside of Newcastle. This gym, along with the usual gym stereotypes, includes one particular couple. This couple often train at the same time as me, so over the months I have been able to watch the efforts - no progress - of the pair. It is becoming a regular sight to see boyfriends training their other half when they have no clue about lifting themselves. The male of the pair in my gym clearly has a little lifting knowledge, however not on the side of correct form and biomechanics. And so, during a squat (performed by the girlfriend) the upwards phase has the poorest knee control I have ever seen. Her knees practically touch! As a sports therapist and S&C coach I wince each time I watch this happen. I am lucky to be aware of correct mechanics for lifts and so able to avoid injury myself. 

But what do I do as a professional? I feel it is my duty to prevent injury, whereas others I have spoken have had the opposite approach. These therapists have said they wouldn't intervene. Instead they would wait until the gym-goer visits them for treatment and recovery from injury. In my own professional opinion this is just not right as I do not wish harm on anyone, nor do I wish to take someones money if an injury can be prevented. Surely it is our duty of care to prevent such an injury?

However I am aware that it can be embarrassing for some to be approached in the gym and to then be corrected on technique or given general advice. Therefore it was an idea of mine to catch this girl in the changing room and voice my concern as a professional. I thought perhaps this might be less intimidating and a more friendly approach.

What do you think is this a suitable intervention as a therapist or S&C coach? I don't wish to cause embarrassment, only prevent injury.

What is your view on intervening in the gym? Do you have experience in this area as a professional? I would love to hear your stories and advice!     
- Ellieee x
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Performance Sports Therapy. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig